A Fat Chance

I suffer from intestinal lymphangiectasia, an extremely rare disorder which gave me a chance to change my life. A fat chance.

Name:
Location: Pisa, Tuscany, Italy

Medical student (Psychiatry), online and face-to-face facilitation, CoP practitioner, writer for and about mental illness (mainly in psychiatric rehabilitation, volunteerism and ICT) but also facilitation nonprofit and CoPs, person with mental illness in recovery.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

How Intestinal Lymphangiectasia Feels

Right after a fatty meal (in 20-30 minutes), I start burping a lot and having some stomachache. It's like eating too
much: you feel swollen and your digestion takes longer. It is uncomfortable but not painful (yet).

Then, the food progresses into the beginning of the small bowel, and it feels like when you have motion sickness: you get irritable, can't stand and tend to lay down on your left side and wish for it to go away. That is when you start complaining.

After a while you start hearing noises out of your belly. That is when the REAL pain begins. Pain gets worse and worse till you have to go to the bathroom. It's pretty much like a stomach bug BUT it's a lot more painful. I can't even move my legs, cause the pain radiates to my feet (it's similar to menses', if you have the painful
form of them, or the first stage of labor, with shivers, nausea, inability to walk, and pain).

At this point, I will start passing the fatty food in 6 hours or so (sometimes even 4) and go on passing more and more liquid stools till at some point will feel hungry when in the bathroom. That's the signal I am having my "last" run due to that food.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home