A Fat Chance

I suffer from intestinal lymphangiectasia, an extremely rare disorder which gave me a chance to change my life. A fat chance.

Name:
Location: Pisa, Tuscany, Italy

Medical student (Psychiatry), online and face-to-face facilitation, CoP practitioner, writer for and about mental illness (mainly in psychiatric rehabilitation, volunteerism and ICT) but also facilitation nonprofit and CoPs, person with mental illness in recovery.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Gas Colic

Sometimes, you can get a gas colic, just like babies'. In this case the pain is different from usual IL's, in that it:
1. is localized around the navel and below the stomach,
2. gets far worse when you stand up
3. also worsens when you tighten your abdominal muscles

What can you do to make it go away?

Lay on your left side, because that will relax your abdominal muscles and diminish the pain. This position will also help you release gas without straining (that is, it will help painlessly).

Use a hot water bottle that will keep contractions in check.

If you can, sleep and allow the bowel to do its stuff.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! I find lying on my left side really helps with "colic". I also find that Kefir helps me to not suffer with it in the first place.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Rosanna Tarsiero said...

Awesome! It does the same thing for me. I'm glad it works for you as well :)

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home